Getting pre-approved for your mortgage loan is exciting! However thinking about what to do once you are already approved for a mortgage loan isn’t often on the top of peoples minds. Here are some do’s and don’ts that everyone should follow after their pre-approval.
- Review your credit report to make sure all information looks accurate. Confirm all debts showing are yours and that payment history and balances look correct. Also confirm recent credit inquiries were indeed authorized by yourself.
- Continue to save for a down payment, closing costs and pre-paid items. Pre-paid items include the first year annual premium for homeowners insurance, initial escrow deposit (if applicable) and pre-paid interest.
- Continue to make loan and other debt payments on time so that a late payment is not reported to the credit agencies.
- Keep your lender informed of any life changes such as a change in household income or employment changes. These changes could change approval and/or could delay a closing.
- Don’t have new credit inquires. This means you should not have your credit pulled for any new debt before closing on your loan. If you do, this could impact your credit score and could change your approval terms.
- Don’t take out new debt or make any big purchases on your current credit cards. Doing so could change your debt-to-income ratios and could impact the amount you are approved for.
- Don’t close revolving credit cards (even if they have a zero balance) as this could impact your credit score.
- If you change jobs it could affect your approval or delay a closing.
- Don’t file for bankruptcy, foreclosure, short sale, etc. Instead, continue to pay all creditors as agreed.
With this knowledge you can ensure your buying experience will be successful. If you have more questions on the mortgage loan process reach out to one of our experienced mortgage loan officers, or give us a call at 888.929.9902.