personal online banking FAQ
Features and Benefits
- What is Internet Banking?
- Is there a demonstration available?
- Do I have to open a new or special account to use Internet Banking?
- What is e BillPay?
- How do I enroll for Internet Banking?
- How current is the information provided online?
- How long will I be able to see account information and statements?
- Can I rename my accounts?
- Can I download my transactions into a finance software product?
- How late in the evening can I make transfers?
- Can transfers be established to occur in the future or on a recurring basis?
- What happens if I have scheduled a transaction that falls on a weekend or holiday?
- Can I make a loan payment?
- Can I update information about myself online?
- What is the difference between a personal e-mail address and a Bank Mail?
- Can I monitor my accounts based on the balances at the end of each day?
- Can I receive notification when my bank statement is available?
- Can I use Internet Banking to send e-mail reminders?
- What e-mail address do reminders and alerts come from?
- Does Internet Banking have online help?
- I have enrolled. Now what?
- Password Rules
- My temporary password is 16 characters long. When I am prompted to change my password does it need to be that long?
- What if, during login, I enter my password incorrectly?
- Forgot Your Password feature
- Can I change my password?
- How do I change my user id?
- Are there times when Internet Banking services may not be available?
- What happens if I forget my password or get an “ERROR: Login Failed” message?
- How can I make a check image print on one page?
- When I login to Internet Banking I get the error, “Session Timeout Error.”
- What can I do if the Web site is not refreshing properly?
- Can I use my browser’s Bank or Refresh buttons?
- What happens if I do not log off of the system?
Security and Privacy
- How do I know my on-line account information is secure?
- What is encryption or an encrypted Web page?
- How can I find my browser version?
- Security Posture at Peoples State Bank
- Secure Data Transfer
- Router and Firewall
Requirements on Your PC and Security Recommendations
- Requirements for Internet Banking
- Recommended Security Practices for Your Computer
- Which browser do you recommend?
- We recommend that you do not save passwords on you PC
- Requirements for e BillPay
- Can I access the Internet Banking Web site without 128-bit encryption?
- Cannot find the answer to your question
What is Internet Banking?
Internet Banking gives you up-to-date account information anytime so you can check balances, transfer funds, make loan payments, view check images and statements, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are interested you can enroll for eBillPay, which will allow you to pay anyone at anytime.
- e BillPay is free for the two months. After two free months:
- Personal e BillPay is free as long as it is used monthly.
- Business e BillPay costs $5.00 per month.
See below for details.
We also offer a Cash Management product to our business customer that enables:
- Direct Deposit - EFTPS Payments
- ACH Collection - Electronic Funds Transfer
- Wire Transfers - Business e BillPay
Is there a demonstration available?
Yes, various demonstrations are available. The demonstrations are available via our Web site, www.psbwi.com. Select Internet Banking and follow the onscreen information to the demos. There are 4 demos available. For retail customers there is a demo of the Internet Banking Web site as well as a demo of the eBillPay product. For larger business customers, we offer a demo of our Cash Management solution. If you are a small businessperson, you might find the Business Internet Banking and Business eBillPay products meet your needs.
Do I have to open a new or special account to use Internet Banking?
No, you do not have to open a new or special account to utilize Internet Banking. If you have a Peoples State Bank account and Internet access, you may use Peoples State Bank Internet Banking.
What is e BillPay?
e BillPay is an add-on product you can choose to have, in addition to our Internet Banking product. e BillPay allows you to pay your bills online without writing a check. You can use it to pay almost anyone. Once you have set up the payment, your transaction will be made by check or by an electronic transfer. Of course paper checks take longer than electronic payments so you will be notified as you make the payment exactly how the payment will be sent.
We have thousands of businesses already set up for electronic payment so many of your payments will be sent electronically. If you have payments that are recurring (such as a car payment or mortgage) you can set up the eBillPay system to automatically make these payments, on a recurring basis.
e BillPay is free to retail customers as long as it is used once a month. The month begins on the date of your eBillPay enrollment. See the enrollment agreement for more information.
eBillPay includes various unique features you may find exciting. For example, you can e-mail money to friends and family using only their e-mail address. They receive an e-mail from our partner, iPay that instructs them to connect to the iPay Web site and receive the money into their own bank account securely. This feature is very popular with parents who need to send money to their college students.
There is a gift check feature that allows you to send anyone a personalized gift for numerous occasions including weddings and birthdays. You can even send the charity of your choice a donation in the form of a unique gift check.
There is also a separate Business eBillPay product available to our business customers. This product offers dual control bill payment, multiple users, EFTPS capabilities and auditing reports, among other features.
Demos of both products are available through the Internet Banking link on our homepage.
How do I enroll for Internet Banking?
Click here for enrollment instructions. Please note, the Enrollment Form Agreement, including the Internet Banking Terms and Conditions, should be read and agreed to before completing your enrollment.
Once you agree to the terms outlined in the Agreement and complete the on-line Enrollment Form we will e-mail you a temporary user id and password.
It is important that you login and create a new user id and password as soon as possible. For security purposes, you should create a new user id and password for yourself within 24 hours of your receipt of the temporary login information.
Transactions completed after 3:00 PM may not be reflected until the next business day. Payments made to your Peoples State Bank loan accounts will be reflected the following business day.
How long will I be able to see account information and statements?
You will have access to 90 days of checking and/or savings account history. You will also have access to the 90 days of loan and CD history, prior to your enrollment date and the lifetime history of loans and CDs thereafter.
Can I download my transactions into a finance software product?
Yes, you can download transactions into financial software. Transactions can be downloaded into spreadsheets, Quicken ® 1998 – the most current version, via Quicken WebConnect, and Money ® 1998-current version. You may also use Quicken ® Online a free Web based product. We do not support Quickbooks.
You can also establish recurring transfers and set expiration dates for transfers.
Note: For business customers using the Cash Management Web site - Wire transfer requests must be received by 2:30 PM CT.
Can transfers be established to occur in the future or on a recurring basis?
Yes, transfers can be created to occur in the future or on a recurring basis. You can select the date on which a transfer should occur as well as the frequency of a transfer; once, daily, weekly, every 2 weeks, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually. You can also set expiration dates on recurring transfers.
What happens if I have scheduled a transaction that falls on a weekend or a holiday?
If a scheduled transaction falls on a weekend or holiday the transaction will occur the next business day, following the weekend or holiday.
Can I make a loan payment?
Yes, you can make loan payments on-line. You can use the transfer option to move funds from your checking or savings account to make a loan payment. You can also establish a recurring loan payment: once, daily, weekly, every 2 weeks, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually.
Can I update information about myself online?
Yes, you can update your personal information on-line. By choosing Services > Change Info, you can change any of the information shown. Upon submission, your changes will be sent, via secure e-mail to Peoples E-Banking Department. It is important that you keep your information up to date, especially your personal e-mail address.
What is the difference between a personal e-mail address and a Bank Mail?
Regular Internet e-mail is not secure therefore we provide a secure Bank Mail system within the Internet Banking Web site. You can use our secure Bank Mail to ask questions of the bank. We will reply using secure Bank Mail. If you have secure Bank Mail waiting to be read you will see a note at the top of your main screen "You Have Mail". Please read all Bank Mail as soon as possible since they often contain time sensitive information. To access your Bank Mail go to Services > Bank Mail.
Can I monitor my accounts based on the balances at the end of each day?
Yes, you can monitor your account balances in a variety of ways. By choosing Services > Alerts you can use the following alerts to monitor your account:
- "When My Balance is Greater Than”
- ‘When My Balance is Less Than”
- “For All Debit Amounts Greater Than”
- “When My Statement is Available”
- “When My Loan Payoff Amount is Greater Than”
- “When My Loan Payoff Amount is Less Than”
Alert messages will be sent, as an e-mail message, to the personal e-mail address you provided during the enrollment process. To verify and/or update your personal e-mail address, see above.
Can I receive notification when my bank statement is available?
Yes, you can choose to receive an Alert when your statement is available. By choosing Services > Alerts you can choose the option ‘When My Statement is Available’. An alert message will be sent as an e-mail message to the e-mail address you provided upon enrollment.
*Online statements will often be available to you days before you receive your mailed statement!
Can I use Internet Banking to send e-mail reminders?
Yes, you can send yourself e-mail reminders via Internet Banking. By choosing Services > Reminders you can build reminders to remember special events, birthdays, anniversaries, payment due dates, etc. These reminders can be a single occurrence, daily, weekly, every two weeks, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annually. The reminder message will be sent, as an e-mail message, to your personal e-mail address at the time scheduled.
What e-mail address do reminders and alerts come from?
If you set up alert or reminders they will be sent to your personal e-mail address and the sender's name will be, Internet Banking from the e-mail address, email@example.com. Please do not respond or send e-mail to this address.
I have enrolled. Now what?
You will receive a welcome letter via e-mail or US Mail notifying you that your enrollment is complete. Simply go to our Web site, www.psbwi.com, use the Internet Banking link then “Click Here to Login.” At the logon screen enter X616 and the last four digits of your Social Security or Tax ID number (no dashes or spaces, i.e X6161234) and the 16-character bank assigned password in the password field. Your password is case sensitive so be sure to enter it exactly as you received it. You will be required to change your user id and password as soon as you logon.
Your user id must be at least 6 characters long, include 4 letters and a number. A common format for a person named John Smith might be jsmith12. Keep in mind; someone else may have reserved the user id you are trying to use. If you try to use a user id that is already in use you will receive an error. Please create a different user id and try again.
You will also be forced to change your password.
You may change your password at any time by going to Services > Change Password. It is recommended that you change your password every six months. You will also be asked to select and answer two security questions (sometimes referred to as "challenge" questions). The answers you provide are not public knowledge. No person will have access to the answers you provide. They will only be used to assist you if you ever forget your password.
My temporary password is 16 characters long. When I am prompted to change my password does it need to be that long?
No, your password does not need to be 16 characters long; however, it must contain at least 6 characters. The password rules are listed above.
What if, during login, I enter my password incorrectly?
If you enter the correct user id, but use the wrong password your account will be locked after 3 invalid login attempts. You will need to call Customer Service to verify your user id and unlock your account. Once unlocked, you will have three more attempts to enter the correct user id and password. If you still are unsuccessful you can click “Forgot Your Password.” This feature will prompt you to answer your security challenge questions. If you answer them correctly you will be prompted to create a new password and re-answer two security questions.
How can I monitor my account access and password changes?
You can establish various Alerts to monitor access to your account. Go to Services > Alerts > Module: User, to setup any of the following Alerts:
- “When My Password Has Been Changed”
- “When My Login Has Been Reset”
- “When My Login Attempts Exceed the Limit”
- “When My Login is Accessed”
Forgot Your Password feature
If you forget your password you can select the button, “Forgot Your Password.” The system will prompt you to answer your two security questions. If you attempt to answer the questions and are unsuccessful 3 times the system will lock your on-line account access requiring a bank employee to unlock it.
If you answer the 2 security questions correctly your account will be unlocked and you will be required to create a new password and re-answer two security questions.
- Enter your old password in the Old Password field
- Enter your new password in the New Password field
- Re-enter your new password in the Confirm New Password field
- Answer two security questions
- Click the “Submit” button to save your changes
For the strongest password security, please use random words and numbers. Never use easy to guess passwords such as a simple series of numbers, a child's name, a birth date, etc. Always keep your passwords in a secure place.
- Asterisks appear when entering the password for added security.
- The complete password rules can be found earlier in this document.
How do I change my user id?
You can change your user id at any time by choosing Services > Change Info. Keep in mind your user id must contain, at least 6 characters, numbers and letters. When you are finished, click “Submit.” Your change will take effect immediately.
Are there any times when Internet Banking services may not be available?
Yes, there are times when the Peoples State Bank Internet Banking site may not be available. The Internet Banking product is scheduled to receive weekly system maintenance between the hours of 5:00 AM and 7:00 AM on Wednesdays. You will be notified if any additional maintenance time will be necessary. You may experience technical difficulties if you attempt to access your accounts during this maintenance period.
What happens if I forget my password or get an “ERROR: Login Failed" message?
Users have 3 attempts to login before their account is locked out. You must call Customer Service to have your on-line account unlocked. Once unlocked you will have three more tries to enter the correct password.
- Verify your user id with the Customer Service representative
- Try entering your password with the Caps Lock ON AND OFF
If you have completely forgotten your password you can select the “Forget your Password” link. You will be prompted with your two security questions. If you answer these questions successfully the Web site will prompt you to create a new password.
If you cannot remember the answers to your security questions please call our E-Banking or Customer Service departments to have your account reset.
How can I make a check image print on one page?
We are aware of this issue and hope to have a solution to this problem soon. In the meantime, please follow these steps to print your checks on a single piece of paper.
- With the check image on your screen, Press the “Print Scrn” button on your keyboard
- Open Microsoft Word (or any other word processor)
- Paste the image into Word (Hint: select Edit > Paste, from the top of your screen)
- Print the image from Microsoft Word
When I login to Internet Banking I get the error, "Session Timeout Error."
We have found the “Session Timeout Error” comes from Internet Explorer 6.0. Here are a few things to try.
Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools > Internet Options > Privacy Tab. Make sure the privacy is set at Medium. Then click on the Edit button on that same screen. Enter the following Web site address in the “Address of the Web site” field: https://ibank.pcs-sd.net/onlinebanking/login.r?t-bank=75911616 Then click, Allow.
What can I do if the Web site is not refreshing properly?
If your on-line banking session is not refreshing properly you may want to check your cache. Sometimes a copy of certain web page information is left on your PC in what is called a cache. If you want to make sure that you receive the most current version of a web page you should clear your cache.
The instructions to do this are unique to each browser and even unique within versions of the same browser. The best way to get information about this is to consult the online help available within your browser. Usually this is accessible from a Menu item called, HELP.
Can I use my browser's Back or Refresh buttons?
No, please do not use your Back or Refresh buttons. Use the navigation buttons provided within the Internet Banking product to move between accounts and pages. Using the Back or Refresh buttons may create errors during your banking session.
What happens if I do not log off of the system?
If you do not log off the system, do not change screens or submit information within 10 minutes, the system will automatically timeout. At that point the system will force you to re-login to your Internet Banking session. This is one of the many on-line security features offered by Peoples State Bank Internet Banking.
What if I have questions or problems while using e BillPay?
If you have questions while using eBillPay feel free to call Peoples State Bank E-Banking Department, 888-929-9902. You may also want to review the “FAQ” link found at the bottom of each eBillPay screen.
If you have technical questions or questions regarding a payment you made using eBillPay please contact eBillPay Customer Support. Scroll to the bottom of any eBillPay screen and click the “Contact” link. You can reach eBillPay Customer Support via Live Chat or by telephone (866-799-8383).
Security and Privacy:
To determine the security of a web page, click inside the page with the right mouse button, click Properties on the menu that appears, and then click Certificates. A Web page that is on a secure server will display the security information for the specific site in the Certificate information box.
How do I know my on-line account information is secure?
Both Netscape's Navigator and Microsoft's Internet Explorer offer visual assurance showing your Internet banking session is protected.
When in a secure session, Netscape's Navigator, equipped with 128-bit encryption, will display a double-tooth key in the lower left corner of your monitor. A single-tooth key is displayed for Netscape browsers equipped with 40-bit encryption. Netscape Navigator, version 4.04, will display a lock at the bottom of your screen.
Similarly, Microsoft's Internet Explorer will make visible a closed padlock in the lower right corner of your monitor. Generally, when not in a secure session, the key image will appear broken and the padlock will look open. Please note, however, that some browser versions may not display a symbol when viewing an unencrypted page.
What is encryption or an encrypted Web page?
Encryption is a way of coding the information in a file or e-mail message so that if a third party intercepts it as it travels over a network, it cannot be read. Only the persons sending and receiving the information have the key and this makes it unreadable to anyone except the intended persons.(definition provided by rbcwebdesign.com)
How can I find my browser version?
To find the version of your browser find your Help menu option, while on-line. Details concerning your browser should be listed there.
- We protect and safeguard the privacy of our on-line users and services, just as we do throughout the rest of our business. We will use personal information to identify you, to communicate with you, and to help us answer your questions.
- We will NOT sell personally identifiable financial information to a third party for the purpose of solicitation or provide personal information to a third party for its own use.
- If you believe your personal information is incorrect please contact us. We will investigate the situation and if appropriate update our records.
- Sometimes we send our customers information about our products and services. If you do not wish to receive this information please let us know.
Security Posture at Peoples State Bank
Our Web site brings together a combination of industry-approved security technologies to protect data for the bank and for you, our customer. It features a VeriSign-issued Digital ID for the bank's Internet Service Provider hosting our Web site, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol for data encryption, and a router and firewall to regulate the flow of server traffic.
Secure Data Transfer
Once a server session is established on an https secure page, the user and the server are in a secured environment. Because VeriSign has certified the server as a 128-bit secure server, data traveling between the user and the server is encrypted with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol. With SSL, data that travels between the bank and customer is encrypted and can only be decrypted with the public and private key pair. In short, the bank's server issues a public key to the end user's browser and creates a temporary private key. These two keys are the only combination possible for that session. When the session is complete, the keys expire and the whole process starts over when a new end user makes a server session.
Router and Firewall
Secure forms must filter through a router and firewall before they are permitted to reach the server. A router, (a piece of hardware) works in conjunction with the firewall, (a piece of software) to block and direct traffic coming to the server. The configuration begins by disallowing ALL traffic and then opens holes only when necessary to process acceptable data requests, such as retrieving web pages or sending customer requests to the bank.
Requirements on Your PC and Security Recommendations
Requirements for Internet Banking:
- An account with Peoples State Bank
- Acceptance of Peoples State Bank’s Internet Banking Access Agreement
- Accurate completion and submission of the on-line Enrollment Form
- A PC with Internet Access (the bank does not provide this)
- A web browser that supports 128-bit SSL encryption such as current versions of Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
Recommended Security Practices for Your Computer
Peoples State Bank highly recommends the following security practices:
- Do not use public Internet stations or kiosks for accessing our Internet Banking Web site
- Passwords should consist of combinations of letters, numbers and special characters
- Do not use the “Save Password” feature on your browser
- Anti Virus Software should be used and kept up-to-date
- Your operating system should be kept up-to-date with current security patches
- Block SPAM e-mail and Pop-Up advertising, which are often carriers of spyware, viruses, trojans, and other malicious code.
- Protect your computer from spyware and keystroke loggers.
Peoples State Bank suggests that you consult an expert if you need assistance implementing any of these recommendations.
Which browser do you recommend?
Peoples State Bank’s Internet Banking supports Microsoft Explorer and Netscape Navigator. The browser must support 128-bit SSL encryption. We recommend the use of Microsoft's Internet Explorer 5.0 or later because it supports the imagery of on-line bank statements. The same account information will be visible in Netscape, but the statement background may not appear as familiar.
We recommend you do not save passwords on your PC.
If, while logging in to our Internet Banking Web site your browser prompts you with a message suggesting you save your password – DO NOT. This is a security risk. If your computer is infected with a virus or spyware there is a possibility that hackers could get your saved passwords.
Requirements for e BillPay:
- A checking account with Peoples State Bank
- Acceptance of the bank’s eBillPay Access Agreement
- Accurate completion of the eBillPay Enrollment Form
- A PC with Internet access (the bank does not provide this)
- A web browser that supports 128-bit SSL encryption such as current versions of Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
- Note: eBillPay requires that your browser accept Pop-Ups
- eBillPay also requires you to have the free Macromedia Flash plug-in installed
- Pop-Up blockers will need to be disabled to utilize eBillPay
- We recommend you not turn off your Pop-Up blocker completely. Instead, accept Pop-Ups from our Web site only. If you need help with this contact your Internet Service Provider or qualified PC support person.
- Macromedia Flash plug-in is required
- During enrollment you will be prompted to test your PC for eBillPay compatibility
- Customer Service for eBillPay (866)-799-8383. Please note, this is an 866 number to iPay, on behalf of Peoples State Bank.
Can I access the Internet Banking Web site without 128-bit encryption?
No, you must update your Internet Explorer's encryption level to 128-bit to access our Internet banking site. This can be done free of charge at the following link on Microsoft's Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/128bit/default.asp At this link you can choose your correct operating system and Internet Explorer version and download the encryption update.
Cannot find the answer to your question Please call or write our friendly Customer Service staff.
For Customer Service, call the nearest Peoples State Bank and press 2 at the prompt.
You can also e-mail your question to us. We provide a secure Bank Mail system within the Web site. After you login to our Internet Banking product with your user id and password, select Services > Bank Mail and send us a secure message with your question
If you cannot login to the Web site, but still wish to use e-mail click Contact Us on our Web site, www.psbwi.com. If you choose to e-mail us using this method please DO NOT include any personally identifiable account information such as your account number, user id or password. Public e-mail is not secure and therefore not a safe way to send information to Peoples State Bank.